- Ph.D., Sociology, New York University
Dissertation: “No Sanctuary: The Making of Mass Deportation and the Unmaking of the Sanctuary City, 1980-2020”
- B.A., Government, Harvard College, Magna cum Laude with High Honors in Government
Urban sociology; social movements; state-society relations; the far right and left; democracy and technology; digital and visual sociology; social theory; ethnography; qualitative methodology.
- Gould-Wartofsky, Michael A. 2015. The Occupiers: The Making of the 99 Percent Movement. New York, NY and Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Gould-Wartofsky, Michael A. 2025 (anticipated). American Inquisitions: An Ethnography of Fascism and Antifascism in America.
- Gould-Wartofsky, Michael A. and Carol Gould, eds. 2025 (anticipated). Historical Epistemology: Selected Works by Marx W. Wartofsky.
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW
- “From Broken Windows to Broken Doors: Policing the ‘Sanctuary City’ and the Anti-Sanctuary Suburb in Greater New York City and Los Angeles, 2002-2020”
Full CV available upon request.